I just read a post over at kentuckysports.com called Calipari discusses walk-ons regarding Calipari’s decision not to use walk-ons on his team. I understand, basically, what a walk-on is, but:
1. What’s the big deal about not having walk-ons?
2. How does one become a walk-on?
3. Do walk-ons get to do anything other than practice with the team?
4. Do they get scholarships? (I presume the answer is no)
5. Have there been any famous walk-ons in UK history?
6. Are walk-ons treated any differently off the court? (i.e., must walk 2 steps behind other team members, can’t look coach directly in the eye, must do dishes and make beds of the rest of the team, etc.)
Anything else you think I need to know about walk-ons?