We received a great response — point by point I might add — to yesterday’s question of the day. The answers came from Gray over at razorbacktalk.com. Oh, and I especially loved the answer to No. 6.
Here they all are:
1. No big deal about not having walk-ons although Mark Krebs is slated to return, maybe with a scholarship.
2. I wrote the coaching staff and got an invitation to walk-on. Cameron Mills wrote that after getting a scholarship offer from Georgia and new SUV from his dad, his dad talked Coach Pitino into allowing him to walk-on.
3. Walk-ons have to be eligible, of course. Some have played significant minutes.
4. Mills got a scholarship by his junior year.
5. Mills was a walk-on turned shooting star his junior and senior years on scholarship. Ravi Moss contributed significantly as a walk-on. Mark Coury started as a PF but played sparingly for Gillispie. Marquis Estill served as a walk-on for one season due to a numbers crunch.
6. Mills claimed his dad got a bill for $8 every time he pulled a donut off the buffet line.
C.J. Henry was a walk-on at Memphis who did not play his freshman season for Coach Calipari. As he was in the Yankee Minor League he enjoyed a nice signing bonus. Henry is now at Kansas with his brother Xavier.